The mission of the American Heart Association is to provide the skills and knowledge of CPR to the public that will help increase the survival rates of heart disease, stroke and trauma that will help save lives. Over 80 percent of people who experience breathing or heartbeat cessation will not reach the hospital alive without the application of bystander CPR. People who may need CPR skills and knowledge for their employment, volunteer commitments or peace of mind include:
- Professional emergency responders and hospital staff
- Babysitters, preschool staff and teacher assistants
- New parents, grandparents and caretakers for family members
- Lifeguards, sports coaches and swimming pool instructors
- Educational staff at any instructional facility
- Co-workers and managerial staff at the workplace
Type of CPR Certification Courses Available for Healthcare Providers
Certification programs offer the steps to the chain of survival that include how to assist an unconscious person, notify the emergency medical system, assist the choking patient, and provide rescue breaths to a non-breathing person that include chest compressions to a heart attack victim. The successful use of the automated external defibrillator, or AED, for resuscitation of a heart attack victim is offered as part of the courses. CPR Certifications are generally valid for two years.
- Basic Life Support or BLS Certification is for professional emergency responders that are required to demonstrate the skills and knowledge of CPR for employment. Instructions include one and two man CPR rescue breathing and chest compressions on adults, children and infants.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support or ACLS Certification teaches the BLS component as well as the advanced criteria for specialized professional responders that need to use and understand the emergency equipment related to resuscitation and monitoring in a hospital setting.
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support or PALS Certification is designed for professional emergency responders with specialties in the child and infant population in hospital and emergency medicine environments.
American Heart Association CPR Classes Online
- Heartcode BLS (Part One) can be completed online after reading text, watching videos and passing an examination. Part two must be completed in formal classroom training by a qualified instructor that would satisfy the certification requirements.
- Heartcode BLS (Part One) can be completed online. Part two of this course must be taught by a CPR instructor, and part three must be completed in a formal classroom setting. After all three parts of the course are completed; a certification is granted and is valid for two years.
- Heartcode PALS (Part One) may be taken online as an examination. Part two must be completed in a formal classroom setting before the certification for PALS is awarded.
Type of CPR Certification Courses Available for Non-Healthcare Providers
Heartsaver CPR certification is designed for people who don’t have medical backgrounds but may want or need a CPR certification card for their employment. This course includes the instructions on the use of the AED and how to assist a choking victim. Part one of this course can be taken online. Part two must be completed in a classroom format, and then certification is awarded and is valid for two years.
Type of CPR Courses Available without Certification
- Family and Friends CPR and Anytime is offered for people who need to learn the skills and knowledge of CPR but do not need a completion card for their employment. Hands on CPR maneuvers are taught in a dynamic group environment. This course is excellent for new parents, those who take care of elderly family members, babysitters and anyone interested in learning the skills to rescue a life.
- Infant CPR Anytime is taught in groups with the assistance of expert hospital personnel. The students are provided with kits that assist them in a 20 minute class that demonstrates how to resuscitate an infant and notify the emergency medical system.
Click here to find an American Heart Association CPR class near you!